Edie Winch: Hadleigh Cafe Owner and Post Lady
In conversation, 2nd February, 2012
Edie was born in Tooting, London (then Surrey), in 1918, and now lives on Canvey Island.
In 1960 she was running the Crown Cafe, in Hadleigh High Street, with her chef partner Dick and her mother Maria. The business was very successful, but the lease on the premises ran out after only 18 months. The Cafe and neighbouring cottages were demolished by the Local Authority and replaced with the present Hadleigh library.
Edie then ran a small general store along the London Road, but with increasing competition from local supermarkets, sold the business and joined the Post Office.
In 1964 Edie became a Post Lady and delivered parcels on her bicycle from the sorting office in Hadleigh to residents. When the sorting office was moved to Church Road, Thundersley, and vans were used to deliver parcels, Edie delivered the mail. She left in 1974.
Edie’s cat was often found sitting on the windowsill in the resident fireman’s house, but here he is posing with the Kingsway cinema in the background. The photos show the Crown Cafe facing the High Street and one view of the back garden abutting the London Road.