Herbert Lennard was a wholesale greengrocer and fruiterer. From 1935 his home and yard was at “Rose Villa” Church Road, Thundersley. This was later numbered 191 Church Road.
He had to get up very early to buy the vegetables at Stratford market.
His eldest son, Arthur, was his driver and carried on the business after Herbert retired. He kept rabbits in a barn at the back of the house. These were bred for food. There were also several cats, chickens, ducks and a goose and a dog roaming around the yard.
The downstairs of “Rose Villa” was lit by gas lamps and candles were used upstairs.
Before mains sewerage there was an earth closet down the garden. There was no bathroom until 1946 and electricity was then installed.
Please see the gallery below for more photos of Herbert and Arthur Lennard: