The photograph shows the corner of Central Parade and Rectory Road at the end of the 1920s. The bypass, from what is now the London Road from Hadleigh Old Fire Station to Rectory Road, had been built in 1924.
In the far right of the photograph can be seen Norman’s Garage, owned by Frederick Henry Norman. Fred Norman was born on Christmas Eve 1873 at 143 Roman Road, Bow, the son of Frederick and Elizabeth Norman. Young Fred became a gas engineer like his father. Both father and son moved to Hadleigh.
By 1911, Fred was working as a cycle and motor agent at Hadleigh. In the 1925-26 Kelly’s Directory, the telephone number for the garage was listed as 24. As well as this business, Fred also had a shop at 5 Rectory Road in 1929 selling wireless supplies. Frederick Henry Norman died in 1963, aged 89.
Barclays Bank Ltd. had a branch next to Norman’s Garage. In 1929 it was only open on Mondays and Thursdays between 11.30 a.m. and 2.30 p.m. In the 1930s it moved to its present position on the London Road.
Another long established Hadleigh business was W. Norton & Sons, furniture dealers of the Broadway, London Road (the corner of what is now the London Road and Oak Road North). Norton’s depository in Rectory Road is shown in the photograph.