Thundersley and Hadleigh Remembers
Remembrance: Past and Present: Lest we forget
In 1919, following the cessation of hostilities, a celebration was held around Hadleigh Castle ruins, attended by every local dignitary and the entire population of the village.
This was followed by a torchlight procession culminating with fireworks in the meadow opposite the Crown Inn.
In the same year the parish united with Thundersley to collect funds for a War Memorial, which was erected on the corner of Chapel Lane and unveiled in October 1922 by Alderman John Burrows, during a dedication service conducted by the Rural Dean, the Rev. E. N. Gowing.