Pictures of a recycled church hall

St. Michael's Daws Heath 1980

The original St Michael’s Church in Daws Heath was built in 1922 as a dual purpose church and hall.   By 1980, it had become  cramped and a new community hall was needed by the families in Daws Heath.

Architectural designer Reg Curd saw St John Boscoe Hall in Benfleet High Road advertised for sale by developers Town and Country and bid £500 for it.

The hall had been owned by the local Catholic Church and, when the offer was accepted in July 1980,  families from both churches dismantled the hall, panel by panel, and within 24 hours were rebuilding it on the field next to St Michael’s.

The St Michael’s Church hall is still in use in the same place in 2022,  a great example of recycling an asset and so much better for the environment than destroying and starting again.

Recycling a Church Hall in 1980

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *