History of the development of the ‘Top End’ of Scrub Lane – John Rice
The following information is based primarily upon research by local resident John Rice supplemented by research by AGES Archaeological & Historical Association during their Lottery funded project on local wells (in italics).
The name is thought to derive from the ‘scrub’ land of the surrounding area
17th Century – Scrub House was a gamekeeper’s lodge owned by the Dean and Chapter of St. Pauls, the area around being part of the Manor of Barns Juxta Hadleigh (being next to Barns Wood. (For a full description of Scrub House and other local properties, see the new enhanced special edition of Hadleigh an Essex Village by Harvey and Hancock due to be republished by this archive in 2023 – Ed)
1695 Oldest map I found ‘on line’ showing Hadleigh but not Daws Heath
1777 Oldest map found showing Scrub Lane and Scrub House
1847 In the 1847 Tithe Apportionment, Scrub House was owned by George Welch and occupied by a woodman, Joseph Murrell, who also occupied 2 adjacent fields (total 6 acres) which he used for grazing.
1867 Map showing location of Scrub House
1871 Census gives one dwelling on Scrub Lane, presumed to be Scrub House.
1881 Census names Scrub House as the only dwelling on Scrub Lane.
1891 Census gives 3 dwellings on Scrub Lane, none named, but one is presumed to be Scrub House
1895 Map showing location of Scrub House and 2 other dwellings and 2 on The Woods. Also showing 1 Well and 2 Pumps. Bilton and Seymour roads shown but no dwellings. (The site of the Scrub House well appears to have been lost over the years, but was rediscovered following building works in 2021).
1901 Census gives 4 dwellings one of which is Scrub House. Also listed is Scrub Field
1911 Census only gives 2 dwellings in Scrub Lane, Scrub House and Ash Cottage and 1 in The Woods
1919 Map showing 13 dwellings on Scrub Lane and 2 on The Woods
1920 Electoral Register. There were 11 households listed for Scrub Lane and 4 in The Woods. 27 people were registered in total. Scrub Lane dwellings ‘named’, The Woods ‘numbered’
1938 Map. Scrub Lane and The Woods the same as in 1919 but development of Woodfield Road, Mornington Cres and Chandos Parade shown
1939 Register. 11 Households registered in Scrub Lane and 5 in The Woods. There was a total of 44 people living in Scrub Lane and The Woods
1951 Application approved for Land (now Greenacres area) for use for keeping Pigs and Poultry
1954 Nos 6 – 14 Scrub Lane Planning approved for 5 Bungalows and Garages
1955 -1961 Most of the houses between Bilton Road and Woodfield Road were built
1959 ‘Corner’ Shop at 84 Scrub Lane, corner of Bilton Road and Scrub Lane, established
1962 Approval given to build 109 houses on the ‘Greenacres Estate’ comprising of the new roads of Greenacres and Shepherds Close and also parts of Scrub Lane and Shepherds Walk.
1964 First dwellings of Greenacres Estate on Scrub Lane and in the lower end of Greenacres built and occupied. Scrub Lane, from the top end of the school playing fields to Bilton Road, was not made up and was overgrown with shrubs and undergrowth. It was just possible to push a pram along the ‘path’ to access Hadleigh shops. Road between Woodfield and the Boulevard was not tarmacked with lots of potholes, passable by car at slow speed.
1973 ‘Conifers’ development.
1998 Corner shop closed
2005 Planning permission granted to convert Corner Shop back to residential accommodation.
2007 Planning granted for 13 Dwellings on site of 100 Scrub Lane (formerly Ash Cottage) now Scrub Mews