Hadleigh Castle - from 1891 to now
Entrance and Admission
In 1891 William Booth purchased three farms of approximately 900 acres of land in Hadleigh, this surprisingly included the ancient monument, Hadleigh Castle. The Salvation Army made good use of their new acquisition for recreation, sports days and Sunday outdoor services, and it was not until 1948 that the Salvation Army finally handed over the responsibility and care of the Castle to the ‘Department of Works’. This 1978 photograph shows the admission times and the admission charges of 5p each for adults, 2½p each for children and special rates for parties. Today, however, the Castle in the responsibility of ‘English Heritage’ and new signage confirms this and there is no charge.