Endway CarPark Creation
There were Compulsory Purchases to create Endway and Homestead Carparks.
1) In 1968, the Benfleet Urban District Council was authorised under Section 30 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1967 to purchase compulsorily land from local residents to provide suitable vehicle parking places.
The order quoted the Railways Clauses Consolidation Act, 1845 which – as there is no Railway in that area of Hadleigh – may seem a trifle unexpected.
2) The Council provided a statement of its reasons for making the compulsory purchase order to provide adequate off-street car parking;
- following the creation of a one-way system and
- restricted parking on roads in the area,
- acquisition of all parcels of land by agreement did not prove possible.
3) This is the listing of land owners affected – both residential and business – and the areas of land purchased. To examine the pages more closely, use the magnifying glass symbol, and then expand the image further.
More recently the British Legion Hall was removed and that area surfaced. For more on the history of the Royal British Legion hall, here is a relevant article.